October 9, 2012

my mission

Summer after my sophomore year of college I finally followed the prompting I had been having for months. I went and saw my bishop, the lovely Bishop M, and told him that I wanted to go on a mission. Mind you I was only nineteen at the time and still had at least a year and a half before I could send in my mission papers. He was super excited to see me, and as an amazing bishop would do, he sent me home with advice of things to do to help me to prepare for my dream.

First, he suggested I get a copy of the New Era that had been dedicated to missionary work and read it. I loved the messages that it gave and it really became an asset to me over the years.

Second, he told me to go to the temple every week. This was one of the most crucial points he made, in my opinion. I learned to turn to the Lord in a way I wasn't familiar with doing. Not that I hadn't gone to the temple, but I hadn't made it such a spiritual sanctuary, and it truly became that.

Third, he encouraged me to do a study abroad. This was definitely the strangest suggestion he gave. I had always wanted to study abroad (Hello, I'm Breanne. I may or may not be completely obsessed with traveling), but I never made this connection with a mission.

Shortly there after I decided to go to Romania. Romania was the third best decision I ever made, but also the most crucial ( Best- marrying Ian, Second best-BYU, in case you were wondering). It was in the lovely city of Iasi I made some of the best friends I've ever had, learned how to love, and realized  I was not cutout for a mission. On my 21st birthday, the day I had hoped would be when I became "Sister Black", I got a phone call from a freshly returned RM who was very awkard (Ian). And I felt content with the fact that "Sister Black" would never be serving a mission.

Now that the missionary age has changed I have thought a lot about this. I am so grateful for inspired leaders who give wonderful guidance to their congregation. I'm grateful that advice was given to me even though it did not lead to the result I had assumed. Most of all I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who leads each of us on a path that will strengthen us and help us to be who he wants us to be.

GOOD LUCK TO THE 19 YEAR OLD SISTERS!

1 comment: