November 10, 2012

Marilyn

If you haven't heard already, Ian's lovely grandma passed away on Halloween. Fitting for the lady that she was.

We were able to fly back to Salt Lake briefly over the weekend and go to her funeral. It was so bittersweet to be with family and say goodbye to a woman that we both loved.

I will definitely miss her lovely hugs and stories, her winks and smiles, and her ever reaching optimism. I feel so fortunate to have known her for the last few years, and I'm grateful to know that families are eternal and we will see her again.




On the flight home I was reading Jane Eyre. Have you people read that book? My mom has told me to read it for years, but I only recently started it (with my loads of free time...) and have fallen in love. There is a girl in the book who is dying, and this is what she tells Jane shortly before she passes.



"Besides this earth, and besides the race of men, there is an invisible world and a kingdom of spirits: that world is round us for it is everywhere; and those spirits watch us, for they are commissioned to guard us; and if we were dying in pain and shame, if scorn smote us on all sides, and hatred crushed us, angels see our tortures, recognise our innocence..., and God waits only the separation of spirit from flesh to crown us with a full reward. Why, then, should we ever sink overwhelmed with distress, when life is so soon over, and death is so certain an entrance to happiness - to glory?"



Isn't that beautiful? That is precisely what I believe. I know that families really do continue on beyond the grave. Even though death is sad to some degree, it is not sad to Heavenly Father. We get to be with Him and Christ again.

Goodbye, Marilyn! We will miss you.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry. Loosing a grandparent is hard. Knowing that this life is not the end is one of our most beautiful doctrines, I think. I love you both, and if you need anything, let me know.



    P.S. Jane Eyre is a fantastic book, and one of my favourites. I'm glad you love it, too.

    ReplyDelete